How do you celebrate the new year? Is it “new year, new me” or business as usual? Personally, I’m all about the resolutions. But it’s not just a January thing for me- I make goals all throughout the year and edit them as necessary. It may seem extreme, but I have monthly, quarterly/semi-annual, and yearly goals. I like to know where I’m going and to plan for how I’m going to get there. So while I’m not big on the “New Year’s resolution” thing, I do use this time to re-evaluate my plans. My goals range from my personal life, to my career, and of course beauty/style. A few things I hope to accomplish this year in that area:
- Achieve waist length hair. This is completely doable towards the end of the year, but it’s not going to happen with the way I’ve been treating my tresses. No more going a week without moisture, no more half-detangling, no more ignoring my fairy knots.
- Continue working on clearing my skin. I’ve fought acne my entire life. At one point, I was resigned to the fact that I’d have bad skin for years, but now that I’ve found successful and cheap natural remedies, I see clear skin is possible for me. Consistency is key here. I know what to do, I just need to make sure I take the time to do it.
- Stop leaving the house in sweatpants. ‘Nuff said.
- Exfoliate my body 2 to 3 times per week. My skin changes so drastically with a little dry brushing. It’s soft, smooth and glowing. Again, the key is consistency.
- Refill my closet. A few months ago, I tossed out anything in my closet that was ill-fitting or that I hadn’t worn in at least a year. That left me with a few pairs of jeans and club dresses (which is a major contributer to my 3rd goal). I’ve gotten lazy.
- How to fix? Force myself out to the thrift stores at least once a month, and keep an eye out for end of the season sales from my favorite online stores coming up soon.
Some may think that planning in so much detail is silly, but I love the sense of direction and control it gives me. So, if you’re making new year’s resolutions, here’s my tip: know the difference between a goal and a dream.
A goal is something you can control. If success of a goal is dependent on other’s actions, it’s merely a dream. Saying you want a promotion at work is nice, but it’s not entirely up to you whether you get one- it’s up to your superiors. It’s merely a dream. To say, I’m going to finish my degree to make me look more attractive for the next promotion, is all on you- that’s a goal. Make a plan, and then figure out how you’re going to get there.
What are your resolutions for 2015?
Have you ever looked in your closet only to find nothing to wear? Coming from some one who never wears the same “outfit” twice, I think we are all guilty of this. We tend to hold special memories with certain pieces of clothing and after a while, you get the feeling that your wardrobe has emotional ties. Do you have a ring from your 18th birthday that you only wear on special occasions?
How about your favorite cardigan that brings out the color of your eyes or that little black dress that makes your legs look stunning? Its a shame these items can be our favorites but we hardly wear them.
If your ever feeling like your wardrobe is stale, consider consigning. The money you make from the sale of your previously owned items will be funds for your closet makeover. Remember to stick to a budget when shopping and never get rid of clothing you will regret later. During this time you should always dispose of clothes that are worn out or doesn’t fit properly. Remember, the holidays are the season of giving- don’t forget Goodwill!!
Here are a few tips to fall back in love with your wardrobe without going shopping, as hard as that may be.
First try to recycle your “club” clothes. Okay, I know I’m not the only one who still has their old clothes from back in the day. Pull out that mini dress; it can be worn as a shirt now. Make it werk!
Also, look in those places you have left clothes. I know you have been looking for those jeans that make your butt look nice. Check the trunk. Look under the bed. How about the laundry room? When is the last time you looked in the back of your closet? Even the most well-kept closet can hijack a pair of pants or a top. You would be surprised what you would find.
For all of your incomplete outfits, we have what you need at KT! With the new season, it’s the perfect time to spruce up our wardrobe.
We’re all sexy beasts- it’s a given fact. But sometimes, you need an extra boost to get into that mindset. Luckily, that’s easy to do. Sexy is simple. You don’t need to revamp your entire life to feel good about yourself- often the smallest changes can have a big impact. Whether it’s something others will notice or not is irrelevant; it’s all about how it makes YOU feel. Here’s a few places to start:
- Treat yourself to a good fitting bra. Comfort is key when it comes to feeling good, and an ill-fitting bra can make you feel self-conscious. A bra is a necessary investment for every woman. Make sure you know your correct size (because a lot of women are actually wearing the wrong size). Get fitted, and treat yourself to a bra that hugs your curves just right.
- Keep your nails well manicured, even if it’s DIY. Manicured nails will make you feel put together, even if the rest of you doesn’t. Simple to do, and seeing the pop of color will perk you up!
- Workout routinely. Exercising releases endorphins in your body, a chemical similar to morphine. You’ll feel good! Besides that, you will feel accomplished, and your changing physique will put an extra strut in your step.
- Wear more silk or lace undergarments. Boy, do these feel amazing against your skin. No one will know but you (and your partner, to his/her surprise…), but your secret will make you feel like a goddess.
- Perform daily self affirmations. Sounds silly to some, but it’s a proven way to improve your life. Speaking what you want to do/feel will make it more likely to happen. Every morning, give yourself a pep talk in the mirror.
- Take a pole dance class. I’m a firm believer that every woman needs to do this at least once in her life. They are so entertaining and empowering. And being surrounded by a group of strong women is infectious. Let loose, and have fun!
- Meditate. Our lives are busy beyond belief- and there’s a very small chance that will change any time soon. But that’s okay; we can handle it. But everyday, take a moment to yourself and free your mind. Clearing your head- even if just for a few minutes- will give you a better handle on your busy life.
- Walk around naked. It’s freeing and empowering with a hint of naughty. We’ve all done it before, which means we all know how good it feels.
- De-clutter your home. Home should be a sanctuary. This is hard to accomplish when there’s chaos. Straighten up a bit, and enjoy your oasis.
- Spend time with your lover. And I mean REAL time. No phone, no TV, and no kids. Just each other. Even if it’s just a few minutes before bed, spend the time to grow closer to your partner. The growing emotional bond will make you feel more secure about yourself. Security=sexy.
What do you do to make yourself feel sexy?